The tracheostomy team provides support and education to all ‘Neck Breathers’, i.e. all patients’ with a tracheostomy tube or laryngectomy stoma, as well as to their families and to the staff that care for them.
The service is provided by Clinical Nurse Specialists.
Our service includes:
- Developing standardised tracheostomy guidelines /competencies using evidence based practice.
- Staff education (local in-service training) while also providing local and national formal staff education via SJH tracheostomy study days facilitated 4 times a year via Zoom. Bookings can be made via the Centre for Learning and Development (CLD), Tel: 01 416 2201.
- Dedicated patient monitoring, early patient discharge planning, and procurement of equipment.
- Patient and family education and training.
- Outreach services.
- Nurse led clinic for long-term community patients.
- Collaboration with all members of the multidisciplinary team to ensure holistic patient centred care.
We are focused on planning for the future and supporting the needs of tracheostomy patients and their families.